Monday, February 19, 2007

Language and Art

During our stay in China, we attended a language class and were taught some of the basics. It was interesting to learn about the history of Chinese language, but it was difficult to understand the symbols. Since we had such a short class, we were only able to learn certain words rather than figure out the grammar. I found this session helpful, however, because I was able to use my new "survival Chinese words" when dealing with the locals. While visiting markets or in a taxi, we were finally able to thank people and communicate on a small level. In addition to the language class, we also attended a lecture on Chinese painting. This fascinated me because I learned how to correctly hold the paint brush when painting in a Chinese style. I have always been interested in art, and I enjoyed creating images of my own. Our instructor painted sample images of nature and Chinese symbols and assisted us with our paintings.

No comments: