Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Plane Ride

The plane ride to China was an adventure in itself. I sat next to a Chinese family who were returning to their farm in Guilin. Since I have never taken Chinese, it was difficult to converse with the people around me. However, I found different ways to communicate and used non-verbal expression in place of words. At the end of the tiring yet interesting flight, the woman I had gotten to know introduced me to her son. He knew a few words in English, so I was able to give him a standard greeting. I realized that the plane ride to China was only the beginning of a lesson in language restricted communication.

1 comment:

Bill, Anne, Steph and Kimmy said...

Laura
This is great. I love to read your stuff and it will be so fun to read about your thoughts on your trip to China. Let's all go there someday too!!!
Keep those entries coming.
L,
M,D,S&K